New Melodica build

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Daren Banarsë Daren Banarsë 3 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Thanks Shannon, the new version of the Diamanté has a few changes from the original. As you mentioned the new mouth piece is a soprano sax mouth piece, the air chamber was modified which a tighter fit to every individual valve opening, a new adjustable valve stop washer holder, and a new built in pickup design from Myers pickups. All parts are now anodized and I eliminated one feature from the original that was not working out as I had hoped for and that was the silicone plate gasket that allowed the reeds to be changed faster. Unfortunately the material did not hold up as I had wished for and small air leaks started to appear. The new version has a combination of screws and wax. The tone is similar to the original over all with a slight clearer top end.
    Melodica-Me

Shannon M
    Participant

Any chance of construction images? I learned a lot from Tatu’s building methods. I am sure we could all learn a lot from yours as well. You do beautiful work!

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Shannon, there are some selective pictures on Pinterest of some of the build, link below. Sorry, none of the note bender to display yet.
    Thanks
    Melodica-Me

https://pin.it/2q73i3qqgbrhfo

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Lovely photos! Shannon, how’s your build coming along??

Shannon M
    Participant

MM-= thanks for the photos. I love your jigs! Have you noticed any significant differences in the sound of the two Diamantes? How do you like playing the sax mouthpiece? Also, noted a “new project” posted-any discussion of that?

Daren- the new instrument is stalled in the design phase. I am moving away from a Janko keyboard-not quite the solution I am looking for. Now reworking the design for a uniform or balanced keyboard-I think this will do what I want to do. It will also greatly simplify construction. Hopefully start building soon-starting to gather supplies now. I don’t have the fabulous workroom that you an MM have, so have to simplify some of the construction. But I think it will work out well.

Shannon

Melodica-Me
    Participant

Hi Shannon, the Jigs have become real time savers, I really noticed the time saved on the Diamanté #002 build. The latest jig I made was for making tiny compresion springs. As for the difference in the sound, I feel that the #002 is a little more brighter on the higher notes and has a little more fuller sound on the mid-bottom notes than that of the # 001, I actually like the mouth piece a lot. I normally use a trumpet mouth piece but I am starting to use this one more and more. It works on both Diamantés By the way, I use a synthetic reed now # 3-4, the one pictured is cane. As for the new project on the bench, fellow Melodica World participant Bruno Travi sent me this awesome gift a few weeks ago. I hope to start on this at the end of January. I still have to work on the case for the Diamanté #002 not to mention World Session III coming up in January as well. Sign ups end 12-30-2017.
    Melodica-Me

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Good to hear you’ll be starting soon Shannon – please feel free to share any thoughts here, I’d be happy to help you avoid any costly pitfalls along the way (of which there are many, time and cash!)

Shannon M
    Participant

Thanks Daren. As soon as I finalize my initial design, I plan to document my build here on Melodica World. I would love to have your comments, as well as from our other builders here (MM and Tatu come to mind immediately). I think the melodica provides a great foundation for experimentation and look forward to sharing my experiences, knowing that I will learn a lot from everybody’s input.

MM- I would love to see some of your jigs documented here, especially your spring jig. Small springs are not hard to find, but it can get expensive trying a bunch of different spring strengths, since I have to order everything. Would love to see what you came up with. What size wire did you end up using?

Shannon

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

I’m excited to see what you come up with Shannon!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.