Fresh information about the Yamaha P37E ?

Homepage Forums General melodica discussion Fresh information about the Yamaha P37E ?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FREDERIC 1 day, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

FREDERIC
    Participant

hello everyone, do you have fresh information about the Yamaha P37E. Is it better than the P37D, more playable? better sound and touch? is it really worth it? is this a real innovation? and finally, is he professional in his definitions?

FREDERIC
    Participant

Hi, I just received my Yamaha yamaha P37E (a few days), it’s my first yamaha. I play (jazz / bossa jazz) usually on the Hammond 44, 44 hyper, suzuki Pro 37v2, Hohner Airboard 37. I’m pretty confused to find the Yamaha P37E keyboard pretty bad …. I feel like it there is almost a friction between the keys when I play …. the keyboard is relatively noisy. As you know, the feel, the touch on the keyboard is quite important for the development of the musical game and I am disappointed. Following all your praise on the yamaha P37D I just order one to compare with the P37E because I am very intrigued. What is your experience with the P37E keyboard? you like it? Is it like the p37D for you? Am I the only one not to find the keyboard of sufficient quality?

ps: I appreciate the sound however, but the articulation of the keyboard spoils me enough pleasure. The aesthetics I like too …. it’s old school, it arrived well tuned

Anton Tokman
    Participant

Hi,
    When I’ve received my P37D, my impressions was the same. Sticky keyboard as compared to my Suzuki. I was disappointed. But after a couple of weeks the keyboard got used to or me used to. And now Yamaha is my main instrument.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you for your response and your testimony on the P37D. I feel that the P37E will improve with use very little … because I have already played a lot with no great improvement. When we come from SUZUKI we are really disappointed. Even my HOHNER Airboard is much better at the keyboard level (its my personnalité feeling).

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Hi Frederic, I’ve always favoured the P37D melodica over others, and did buy a P37E to try out, but don’t use it. I don’t find that they improve with use – mine seem to be at their best when the reeds are brand new

FREDERIC
    Participant

Daren thank you for your response and your opinion. I admit to being quite disturbed by the Yamaha P37E … especially in terms of the playability of the keyboard

Alan Brinton
    Participant

It is very common for older model Yamaha Pianicas (especially 1970s-80s, but even 1990s) to have sticky keys. I have quite a few vintage Yamahas, and I sometimes play them. I have gotten in the habit of running my thumb, finger or palm up and down the keyboard a few times with those models and even sometimes with fairly new ones, after which there’s not a problem that is noticeable to me. It just becomes part of the routine when I pick up a Pianica. So much so that I sometimes do it with other melodicas, loosening up the keys, like “warming up” routines that we see musicians doing with other instruments.

The phenomenon I’m talking about involves a little barrier of resistance that you have to break through, most noticeable when the keyboard hasn’t been played for a while. Maybe that isn’t what you’re talking about. The amount of resistance you feel can be adjusted somewhat: increased by shortening the key’s spring (on a Yamaha or Suzuki), decreased by stretching the spring. I probably would like a little more resistance from the keys in my Suzukis, but I haven’t experimented with that. It would involve clipping a coil from each spring, and then if necessary stretching it just enough to get to the level of resistance I’d like, which would have to be done uniformly for all the keys, best done using a measuring instrument.

FREDERIC
    Participant

Thank you Alan for your comments. This allows me to have a more advanced idea about Yamaha Pianica models

Daren Banarsë
    Daren Banarsë
    Keymaster

Or you can buy a replacement set of prints – I’ve tried this with springs that had more resistance. But I actually prefer the lighter resistance

FREDERIC
    Participant

well received! thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.